Just flew in last week from Mumbai, India, where I worked as a Sequence Supervisor on Sin City, A Dame To Kill For.
My tour there lasted 9 months, all with Prime Focus World -- a great bunch of people. I spent the first couple of months organizing and supervising a team of junior compositors to pull basic keys in NUKE on about 1260 of the 2500 shots -- just over half. This was a great assignment, as I had some time to do some training of the team in my keying methods.
Then I was moved over to Sequence Supervise a big bunch of shots. My team and I did lighting and final renders and put out comps on over 300 shots in 6 months. All the shots involved building virtual sets and massive amounts of in-comp color grading to get the on set lighting to work with the style of the film and lighting of the sets. On another 100 or so shots I did some prep work and planning, ordering paint, roto etc. from support departments, but management rebalanced shots a few times for optimal production, so I can't really count these in my shot tally.
In addition to supervising, I gave informal training in NUKE compositing methods to my team. I also consulted with the Michael Pecchia, Director of VFX Training, drawing up a complete training outline for new artists.
Web reviewer Topless Robot nailed it:
In addition to supervising, I gave informal training in NUKE compositing methods to my team. I also consulted with the Michael Pecchia, Director of VFX Training, drawing up a complete training outline for new artists.
Web reviewer Topless Robot nailed it:
" It's all about the post-production on a movie like this. "
www.toplessrobot.com
![]() |
| One of my shots from the trailer. Dwight (Josh Brolin) has something on his mind. Not the final version. opens 22 August 2014 source:www.toplessrobot.com |
More than that I cannot say, after all, every company has its NDA secret recipes! I can say that the recent merger announcements are great news and will greatly effect VFX post worldwide. (http://www.primefocusworld.com/)
This was my third tour in India, where I previously worked for Reliance Media Works and GEON Studios. I stayed this time at the wonderful Renaissance Marriot at Lake Powai.
Working and living in India is always a challenge -- far from home, family and friends; a change in diet, climate, and tempo. But after a short adjustment period, you get into the groove. The people are like people everywhere in a huge metropolis - stressed. But they were also friendly and pleasant. There is also enormous poverty counterbalancing enormous wealth. The crew and management were excellent to work with, as I said before. I look forward to going back again.


No comments:
Post a Comment